why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Wed Jan 3 19:58:11 UTC 2007

> On Wednesday 03 January 2007 14:04, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > And it would be nice (as I said already). But I'd already be glad if we
> > could have the F7TEST3 to F7 way.
>
> Yes, F7T3 to F7 would be nice, but as you said, sometimes we screw up.  And if
> we screw up, would you rather we introduce epoch, or roll back the version?
> If we come up with a hard and fast rule that T3 must be upgradable to Final,
> that has some pretty serious QA implications, and the QA team (I'm looking at
> you Will) needs to have a say in that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's always been *possible* to upgrade to
Final from Test3 already, right? It may require a little massaging but
it's not impossible, or even all that hard. We just don't *guarantee*
that it will magically Just Work.

Rather than putting extra effort into making that guarantee, I'd prefer
to make major release upgrades magically Just Work. If you can't handle
installing TestX without that guarantee (i.e. if the idea of having to
manually remove/downgrade a few packages first is too much for you), you
could always try the LiveCD of TestX instead.

We could have a compromise - we will at least *try* to help anyone using
Test3 upgrade to Final when it finally comes. We can keep a wiki page
with info/workarounds, but I don't think it's wise or desirable to force
the devs to cram that stuff into anaconda and such.

-w