bump epoch, don't roll back versions (Was Re: why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Jan 3 20:21:53 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 15:14, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Sorry to sound non-constructive, but can we please stop breaking upgrade
> paths just because someone happens to think that "epochs is ugly" (left
> over packages is much less of a problem). I'd like to go even further
> and ask for our build system to enforce this rule. The justification is
> that it's only a number, and this practice is bordering introducing bugs
> by refactoring source code just because it's "less ugly" that way.

I'll let conversation happen on the merrits of bumping or not bumping epoch.

However for buildsystem to enforce this, that's a pretty tough nut to solve,
since any build could get tagged for any variety of collections, regardless
of nvr.  In fact, the buildsystem (by design) only enforces unique n-v-r, so
you couldn't do 1:n-v-r and 2:n-v-r, the buildsystem would freak.  You'd have
to do 2:n-v-r+1 or some other unique 'n-v-r'.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora