why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Wed Jan 3 21:34:15 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 January 2007 12:19, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Actually I'd like to see this, too, but Fedora people seem to be so
>> unwilling to support something like that so I tried the "better ask for
>> something that's not that hard to realize and lies between the current
>> solution and the best/ideal solution; maybe then the chances to get what
>> we ask for are higher and it make one big part of the problem go away,
>> even if parts of the problem remain"-approach
>
> Well, we could do this, but it would involve an explosion of epochs :/  Our
> ability to roll back package versions that were 'mistakes' is very very
> useful.  The only way to keep this is to use epochs to "force" a lower
> version package to win.  Once epoch, always epoch.

I would like to say that this is the only way that we can fix this
_today_.  This is one of the areas where I would love to see some
changes in RPM.  It's a constant source of pain for our developers and
by effect our users.  (Add an Oops: tag that has a list of versions that
this package is _actually_ older than?)  Just that thinking only of what
we can do today is not always the best way to think about the problem.
Luis has a point - let's apply some thinking about not only how we can
solve the problem today (or not) and figure out what changes we can make
to help it down the road.

--Chris