why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Jan 3 21:42:51 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 16:31 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 01:42 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Pup should notify users when the release they are using reaches end of
> > life as well as availability of new releases and the live upgrade tool
> > should be hooked into pup. For the next release, we might maintain it as
> > a experimental feature and stabilize this as we have move forward. There
> > are some cases where a live upgrade wont work efficiently but for
> > majority of use cases the only reason live upgrades dont work properly
> > are real packaging problems which we should be fixing anyway.
>
> Sadly, this isn't actually the case.  The number of "weird" cases that
> are just "remove this package" is far smaller than the other bizarre
> bits that have caused live upgrades to not work reliably.

That's not my experience. Live upgrades have worked fine for me ever
since about RHL5.

Sometimes there's a glitch which you need to deal with manually (like
having to reformat swap space for 64KiB pages), but stuff like that
happens even with "installer" upgrades too. The most painful thing about
it is fixing Apache after the upgrade -- or maybe it's rebooting the
remote machines onto a much newer kernel. But neither of those are
special to the "live" upgrade path.

--
dwmw2