why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Jan 4 02:56:30 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 22:09 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 16:54 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > For a quick list of "off the top of my head weird problem" examples:
[snip treehouse of horrors]
> Yeah, some of those can be fun -- you're reminding me of things I'd
> subconsciously blanked from memory :)

I worry what I've subconsciously blanked ;-)

> But they're not that common -- I think that if we _wanted_ a live
> upgrade to work, it wouldn't be particularly hard to _make_ it work. And
> to a large extent it _does_ work already.

Realistically, there's on the order of one or two of these per release.
And they don't tend to be the same so "making it work" isn't something
that's practically worth the, in some cases quite large, effort.  Hell,
handling some of them even in the context of a not live upgrade can be
painful enough.

> > [2] Support for this specific case is in anaconda now
>
> Is it clever enough to switch back for F7? I already fixed the kernel :)

Right now, it just unconditionally formats swap on ppc on upgrade.  So
perhaps it's not that it's clever enough; more that it's too dumb not to
do so ;-)

Jeremy