The QA Problem

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Jan 5 17:15:09 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 10:57 -0500, Will Woods wrote:

> One big item is writing a general Tester HOWTO that details the
> processes of tracking down bugs and filing really good bug reports.
>
> Another idea I had was to start writing per-package docs for testing
> things in updates-testing. Those docs would use the template laid out
> here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/HowToTestTemplate
> Similarly, when we get closer to Test1, we would need to have
> per-feature docs for how to test New Stuff that goes into F7. (I don't
> have a template for that yet.)
>
> I would *love* to have help beautifying (and clarifying) the templates,
> making the Tester HOWTO available in different formats and languages,
> and I'd also love to hear any ideas you guys might have for tester's
> docs.
>
> Did you have anything in mind, or was that just a general offer for
> help?

:) We can move this over to fedora-docs-list for hashing out, but here
is a quick overview so others are aware and can follow along there, if
they wish:

* Start by touching one or more Wiki templates; make sure they use the
markup[1] and writing styles[2] from the start that support modularity.

* Discuss what we would like a larger "Testing Guide" to look like; what
parts should be in it, etc.

  - This includes deciding if it is sub-project-specific documentation
(so should live in the QA/ Wiki namespace) or is more general Fedora
documentation (so should start in Docs/Drafts/ and move to Docs/).

  - Break the document down to modules that one or a few people can
quickly write, edit, and complete; easy success == more likely to come
back for more abuse^H writing

* Create a skeleton in a draft location[3].

* Find people to own each of the modules; cf. the release notes beat
process[4]

* When we have a complete document in the Wiki, we release it with these
steps[5]:

  1. Copy to a canonical location (e.g. Docs/TestingGuide)
     - Then content development could continue in the e.g.
Docs/Drafts/TestingGuide location, or in CVS (see next step)
  2. Convert the Wiki content to DocBook XML
     2.1 Create module in CVS (/cvs/docs/ or /cvs/qa/)
     2.2 Assign bugzilla module
  3. From this CVS module we create PO files for translation
     3.1 Upload into L10n CVS (or whatever the current process is)
  4. Publish original and translations as links from Docs/

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WikiEditing#Marking_Technical_Terms
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/WritingUsingTheWiki
[3] for ex. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/TestingGuide
[4] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/ReleaseNotes/Beats
[5] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/WorkFlow

--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project