mailing-list reorganisation, round 4 on this list

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Jan 8 19:33:24 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis (fedora at leemhuis.info) said:
> And the next round -- I got a bit more audacious with this one and
> propose to get rid of fedora-maintainers again. I know some people won't
> like that, but I think it's the best.

OK, so I'd like to start off by saying:

- Renaming is bad and should be avoided at all costs.

  If we can fix things without having to rename or move
  people from list to list, it will work much better.

That being said:

> === fedora-maintainers-announce ===
>
> Created already, but not uses until now. This is not a real mailing list
> for discussion, it's rather meant as a way to get really important
> information (policy changes, announcements for mass rebuilds, ...) out
> to all maintainers -- e.g. low traffic, normally less then 3-5 mails a
> months. The plan is to subscribe users semi-automatically from the
> accounts system to make sure we reach everyone.
>
> Some people question the use of this list; they want people subscribed
> to fedora-maintainers instead. But important informations can get lost
> there in the noise easily, and that would be bad. And some of our
> maintainers (e.g. upstream maintainers that co-maintain the fedora
> package) are not interested in all those discussions that happened on
> fedora-maintainers in the past.
>
> Reply-to of this list will be set to fedora-devel; that list will also
> get subscribed to fedora-maintainers-announce. Users can't unsubscribe
> manually from fedora-maintainers-announce list -- being on it is
> mandatory for all package contributors.

If you want to do this, repurpose fedora-maintainers, move fedora-maintainers
discussion to fedora-devel list. However, I think something like
Axel's suggestion of a list where things like packaging committee
*results*, policy changes, etc. would fit in here, but it would
be more than 3-5 mails a month.

> === fedora-devel-list ===
>
> Rename to fedora-devel-users. It shall to a major part replace
> fedora-test-list.  Users can help each other here (and developers should
> keep any eye on there, too) if they have problems with running
> development or testing-channels. They can also discuss Fedora
> development there freely.

I don't see the point here. If you want a test list for test releases,
or users testing, *use fedora-test-list*. Don't do pointless renaming.

> === fedora-maintainers ===
>
> Rename to fedora-devel. Free to post for all fedora contributors (being
> in ambassadors, mentors, packagers, ...). Moderated for the rest of the
> world (we need a whole team of moderators for it). Be liberal and allow
> good-guys to post without being moderated, even if they are no
> fedora-contributors; that includes:
>
>  * people that are well know and active in open-source land somehow
>
>  * people who work on upstream apps we package
>
>  * people that have shown to be constructive after their posts got
> moderated for a while
>
> Enforce the devel topics and never ever answer support questions on that
> list -> those shall are on topic for fedora-devel-users.

Just leave fedora-devel, recharter it. Don't bother with renaming.

Bill