Fedora 7 will ship Nouveau?

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Tue Jan 30 17:55:29 UTC 2007

WT> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=634&num=1 "and
WT> the Fedora Project announcing its intent for including Nouveau in
WT> the upcoming Fedora 7 release."

ajax has indicated that he wants to include it in some fashion.

WT> I've seen this mentioned in many news articles without references.

I do recall seeing it on IRC.

WT> Is Nouveau really ready for inclusion?  My understanding is that
WT> it is nowhere near ready.

It's nowhere near ready to be the default driver for Nvidia chipsets,
of course.  But ajax seems excited enough that he wants it to be in
the distro.  I imagine that it would probably be a very quick moving
non-default experimental bit.

I suppose it's an open question as to whether experimental,
fast-moving packages have a place in a released version of the distro.
It seems to me that Nouveau is the kind of thing we want to foster,
but whether we actually put the packages in the main repo or just put
pointers in the documentation (or something between) is another
matter.

 - J<