Fedora 7 will ship Nouveau?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Jan 30 20:27:45 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 12:48:51PM -0500, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
 > Warren Togami wrote:
 > > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=634&num=1
 > > "and the Fedora Project announcing its intent for including Nouveau in
 > > the upcoming Fedora 7 release."
 > >
 > > I've seen this mentioned in many news articles without references.
 > >
 > > Huh?
 > >
 > > Is Nouveau really ready for inclusion?  My understanding is that it is
 > > nowhere near ready.
 > >

 > Dear god no.  It's not ready by _any_ stretch.

Devicescape is also by no means 'ready', yet if we want half decent
wireless, it's 'teh future'.  nouveau shouldn't be any worse than the nv
driver we already ship in most cases (My laptop triggers one edge case
where the panel size is misdetected - we patch the nv driver in fedora,
but nouveau lacks the same change [or better change] right now).

Getting this into F7 is something we should definitly attempt IMO.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk