Secondary ARCH

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Mon Mar 5 18:45:27 UTC 2007

On Monday 05 March 2007 12:26:46 pm Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 11:36 -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > >
> > > I think the first step is talking to the various parties and figuring
> > > out how much space they really need.
> >
> > Well the current corona tree for sparc is 18GB  and that is without iso's
> > that is for core and extras.
> >
> > IA64 i think He is just wanting his iso's composed from rawhide hosted.
> > though very soon there will not be any ia64 rawhide builds unless we get
> > ia64 builders donated. what policies in general do we want to have on
> > secondary archs?
>
> What's needed other than a set of output rpms and isos?  From what I
> remember of the meeting we had a few months ago we expected secondary
> arch builds to happen on contributed machines, but wanted to host final
> bits.  That should be our target, right?

Yes that's how i see it.

> i.e. are there other things that we need to have in place for adding
> capacity down the road?  And what capacity is it?  We need a little
> brainstorming.

We need to add support to koji to handle secondary arch builds.  that is
intended for the second phase of implementation.  First phase is to have it
up and functional for our primary arch needs. we need to realise that we will
very quickly eat up disk space. alot of the corona figure i quoted is SRPMS.
They are nearly all identical to whats in Fedora. there are a few minor
patches. but in a secondary arch world there will be one set of SRPMS for all
archs. So that will be something that will not increase storage space used.
there will be binary rpms which corona is ~11G  plus iso's another variable
amount depending on spins. so each arch we add is probably going to need
25-30G per release.  by the time updates are added.

we need that storage in 4 locations. the three primary mirrors and the
buildsys. so say we have i386, x86_64, ppc, ppc64, ia64, sparc and SRPMS we
are looking at needing ~200GB of disk space per release x 4 locations.

--
Dennis Gilmore, RHCE