Lessons Learned

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 19:04:14 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 12:40 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> This is a problem with pure democracies that show up time and time
> again. Even in a democratic meritocracy it will show up at a certain
> size of population. The reason seems to be the difference between the
> theory of a democracy that people will get along if they are well
> educated about the facts, and the reality that a certain segment of a
> population will not get along no matter what. [It could be postulated
> that these people are needed for any population center as they will
> get fed up with how things are done here, and go explore elsewhere..
> thus making sure that the population spreads or that new ideas are
> invented etc.]

Keep in mind I think we're approaching Debian in terms of the size of
the software that we distribute and the size of our contributor base.
We don't seem to be suffering from the same problems that Debian is,
although I see a lot of process wonkery going on at the edges.  It's not
all bad, helps us scale, but process for the sake of process and to
avoid powerful leadership is dangerous.

--Chris