Lessons Learned

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 19:49:36 UTC 2007

On Monday 19 March 2007 15:36:48 Max Spevack wrote:
> This is because we start out by saying we want to try to do the release
> every 6 months.  And that can guarantee that it happens in 7 or 8, because
> the physical act of slipping the release causes some level of shame and
> urgency.
>
> If we just said at the beginning 7 months, then I think we'd *still* end
> up slipping, and it would really be 8 or 9 months.

Right.  We start with 6 months and think "What can we accomplish in the
development time this gives us?"  Then we make a list and set some goals.
Come test release time we slip a little here/there for things that are in
flux and could be broken.  The big slips come when we decided a feature was a
must have back in planning stage and it just isn't ready in time for the
release.  That's when we shift from a time based release to a feature based
release.

You're right though, if we said 7 or 8 months from the get go, we'd say "well,
what can we accomplish in the time THIS gives us for development" and we'd
play the game all over again.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora