Lessons Learned

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Tue Mar 20 16:17:57 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 17:03 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > Could you provide examples of this where more than just one or two vocal
> > people opposed something and it was done anyway?  I cannot recall such a
> > time, but if there is one it would be important to use as an example to
> > learn from.
> Why am I not really surprised about his answer?

It was a question for you.  Not an answer.

> A successful "strong leadership" in a system run by volunteers, implies
> "leadership to provide guidance to the public" and "leadership to
> achieve acceptance by the public".
>
> So far, this has not taken place. Instead, Fedora has a leadership
> system, which is widely being ignored by the public, unless it
> interferes with individual contributor interests.

I'm genuinely sorry but I do not see where things are being ignored by
the public.  The PC makes guidelines, those are followed, etc.  And I
honestly cannot think of a time when either FESCo or FAB or PC make a
decision that was contrary to a majority of what people wanted[1].

If you could please provide some examples of what you're referring to,
then we can have a discussion about it.  But just saying things like
this doesn't really provide a good basis to discuss and resolve any
issues.

josh

[1] with perhaps the exception of patented items such as MP3 where there
is no legal possibility for this to be included freely.