[Fwd: Re: Fedora free software?]

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 21 01:39:38 UTC 2007

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> [...]

While talking to some of the Fedora games SIG folks on irc earlier there
was general reluctance to put out a Fedora games spin which I was
advocating for as a show case for all the nice games we have in the
repository . The major reason is that 3D games require proprietary
drivers to function on many systems and having just 2D games wouldn't be
that appealing. If we include 3D games and users can't run them out of
the box in a games spin on many systems that would just appear broken.

The solution I thought of was having a driver buddy similar to codec
buddy with the major difference that it wont install anything or add
pointers to the location of the drivers but warn/educate users on
alternatives. If they install the spin on systems where we do not
provide have 3D acceleration by default which translates into everyone
of these systems with ATI and Nvidia cards then we provide a quick
notification on their desktop directing to more information pointing on
what chipsets/systems work out of the box in Fedora with full 3D
acceleration which translates mainly to the ones with Intel chipsets.

Extending this we could do something similar for systems which require
binary only firmware with or without redistribution rights.

Rahul