Lessons Learned

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 13:56:12 UTC 2007

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Josh Boyer wrote:

> And to be honest, I feel it puts the people that are paid to work on
> Fedora in an unfair position.  They are tasked with getting things done
> in Fedora _and_ making sure the community is involved.  And at times
> involving the community slows things down simply because the volunteers
> aren't available during the day.  So now you have the interesting
> situation where the paid Doers can literally accomplish more than the
> rest of the group and therefore in a meritocracy they have an advantage
> of being more valuable.

Sometimes it works out that way -- but a lot of times it doesn't.

Sometimes the paid Doers have to accomplish things that are Boring But
Must Be Done -- and the great advantage of unpaid Doers is that they can
frequently focus on the interesting/innovative work, because a manager
isn't breathing down their neck.

--g