Lessons Learned

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed Mar 21 14:23:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 09:13 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Josh Boyer wrote:
> >
> >> And to be honest, I feel it puts the people that are paid to work on
> >> Fedora in an unfair position.  They are tasked with getting things done
> >> in Fedora _and_ making sure the community is involved.  And at times
> >> involving the community slows things down simply because the volunteers
> >> aren't available during the day.  So now you have the interesting
> >> situation where the paid Doers can literally accomplish more than the
> >> rest of the group and therefore in a meritocracy they have an advantage
> >> of being more valuable.
> >
> > Sometimes it works out that way -- but a lot of times it doesn't.
> >
> > Sometimes the paid Doers have to accomplish things that are Boring But
> > Must Be Done -- and the great advantage of unpaid Doers is that they
> > can frequently focus on the interesting/innovative work, because a
> > manager isn't breathing down their neck.
> That is true, though I think I lost a lot of street cred when I got
> hired.  Even those in the know I think don't totally trust RH's actions
> but I'm not quite sure why.

I dunno if I buy that. If you lost cred with someone then they're being
ridiculous anyway.

The only reason not to trust RH's actions is b/c of the number of
actors. What I mean is that if the question was phrased: Do you totally
trust Max and Greg to do the right thing. I don't see any issue saying
yes. If the question is phrased: Do you totally trust all of the various
managers and execs at red hat to do the right thing. I have a hard time
saying yes. If only b/c I don't know what all of them are doing and/or
how it will impact fedora.

-sv