Lessons Learned

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 22 02:12:41 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> The thing important for me is: it seems the pages were simply moved,
> without asking the public or FESCo for opinions first. Yes, the topic
> was discussed once in the public some weeks earlier (without a real
> outcome), but now it was simply done afaics, without even discussing
> FESCo first. Was such a hectic really necessary?
>
> Side note: I think the moving in general was a good idea, but how it was
> done without asking or announcing it beforehand was simply bad bad bad.
> I think even a board member should be a bit more careful and ask the
> proper committee (in this case FESCo) and the public for opinions before
> doing such a major task.
>
> Sure, simply doing stuff is easier often. But people that operate in
> "heads down, I don't care what other people think and do my way without
> asking the public or committees that are responsible for it because that
> is painful work" is as far as I can see not the way to get a community
> interested in Fedora.

I asked several times in fedora-devel list and fedora-maintainers list
without any consensus. I setup redirects for every single renamed and I
have announced it to fedora-maintainers list after it was done.  The
move is not complete yet as indicated in the announcement so
categorization of the pages has not changed. I didn't do it as a board
member but as someone who has been involved in the website content
management.

If I have to jump through hoops talking to committee's before I do
things like these I rather not be involved. If anyone within FESCo has a
problem with a simple page move feel free to let me know.

Rahul