Lessons Learned

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Mar 22 15:25:10 UTC 2007

Christian Iseli schrieb:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:59:55 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> I dont have a problem with that.
> Then I think we are in violent agreement :-)
>> What I find poor practice is going
>> through a committee /<insert your governing body> before doing routine
>> things.  Good governance on a distributed project in general is all
>> about enabling  and facilitating contributors to do what they want
>> instead of centralizing all decisions.
> yes
>> Notifications are easy to do in a
>> asynchronous fashion. That's fine.
> exactly
>> Moving decisions to a committee is
>> not. It is very much dangerous to a project to encourage that.
> I'd say it depends on the kind of decisions that need to be taken...
>> Every
>> time we treat processes more important than the individual contributors
>> involved we are going to end up damaging ourselves.
> I'd tend to agree to that too.

+1 from me, too -- the only reasons I mentioned that this should have
been brought to FESCo was: If the page moving would have been announced
probably beforehand on the list then the chances would have been high
afaics that once again no consensus would have been found there. And
then it's FESCo's job to find the final solution.

Cu
thl