fedora board tuesday 3/27, 17:00 EDT

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Mon Mar 26 17:06:22 UTC 2007

#fedora-meeting

17:00 EDT, 21:00 GMT

We'll start with:

(1) Donald Fischer (dff at redhat.com), VP Online Services will join us.
Donald's previous jobs have been as the project manager/leader for
Mugshot, as well as the product manager for RHEL a few years back.  He'll
talk about some of the things he has been working on both in the Red Hat
and Fedora spaces, to share that with the Board and get our feedback.

Donald has another appointment at :30 past the hour, so we'll start with
him.

Once he's done, I'll talk a bit more on a similar vein, and then we'll
move into the other important topic.

(2) Clearing up any confusion in mandate between the Board and FESCO and
making sure that the lines between the two are clear, especially due to
the fact that there are some people who sit on both, and that creates the
opportunity for confusion.  Thorsten and I have been chatting a bit about
this offline, and I'll present some of our conversation to the Board.  The
Board does tend to (inadvertantly) poach some of FESCO's topics, and we
need to fix that.

(3) Talk about Fedora Board succession, especially with regard to the Red
Hat seats, and thinking about it in a "role-based" way.  Especially if we
can properly delegate to FESCO, we have a lot of potentially good options
in how we set up the Board.

Off the top of my head (and incorporating lots of feedback that I've
heard):

* Chair -- Max
* Red Hat appointed seats
   1) RHEL engineering manager -- ???
   2) Fedora "downstream" stakeholder -- Chris Blizzard (OLPC)
   3) product/marketing focus -- ???
   4) Fedora engineer -- Bill/Jeremy/???
   5) Potentially flipping this to a community seat
* Community elected seats
   * open election for anyone (Red Hat or not)

I think it's probably best for us to figure out who will be in the Red
Hat appointed seats before we go ahead and figure out which 2 community
seats will "stay" and which two will open up for election.  Also because
in the interest of having a well balanced Board (in terms of skills and
focus), the appointed seats might have an impact on the community seats.

--
Max Spevack
+ http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MaxSpevack