What do we think of this?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 18:19:17 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 27 March 2007 12:17:43 Michael Schwendt wrote:
> With regard to the mirroring problems, I don't understand yet why we push
> FE-6 and FE-5 daily (on average) even when the updates don't contain any
> important fixes, such as security fixes. Some packages apparently are
> updated daily with either snapshots from VCS or with minor updates. IMO
> this is over-ambitious.

I agree, and I feel that there needs to be guidelines as to what is
an 'acceptable update' for a released Fedora.  Extras has been wide open,
push whatever you want, whenever you want.  This can lead to a poor user
experience, drinking from the firehose of updates leading to an unstable
system.  If that's the kind of experience they wanted, they'd use rawhide.
We need to be more careful about what we push and why, as well as testing it
to make sure we're not just lobbing grenades over the wall.

New infrastructure and workflow will help setup the framework for this, but it
still requires participation and man hours to do the testing.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora