codec buddy pain

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 5 20:20:21 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 13:37 -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 14:21:11 -0500
> Christopher Blizzard <blizzard at 0xdeadbeef.com> wrote:
>
> > seth vidal wrote:

> > > This is what I'm looking for here. I'd like to be able to say something
> > > that kinda-sorta makes sense for reasons to say no to money from some
> > > vendor to put an ad for their software in the distro.
> >
> > Hmm.  Trying to firm up the message here.
> >
> > For me this was all about consuming content.  The basic problem we're
> > trying to solve for end users is that there's a lot of content on the
> > web that requires access to patent-encumbered code.  In order to keep
> > Fedora relevant for the real world, we felt that we needed to make an
> > exception for end users to legally obtain codecs to view encumbered content.
>
> Wait... what prevented users from legally obtaining codecs from fluendo
> before?  Nothing from what I remember...

nothing, it was just not trivial nor contextual to trying to use those
formats.

That's what codeina has done - but it's brought something else into
relief. We have this software in the distro now that a big portion of is
providing a window for advertisements for closed-source codecs from
another company.

That's the precedent that concerns me.

-sv