codec buddy pain

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Mon Nov 5 21:21:08 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 15:43 -0500, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > 4.  Point to a Fedora controlled URL that has a list of current
> > providers of legal software to play the content.  Something that is
> > controlled by Fedora (Board) and clearly not just a commercial for
> > $COMPANY.
>
> Yes, Jesse.  You're exactly right.  Even if it creates an extra step for
> the user.
>
> The problem, IIRC, is that the Fluendo folks did the work and we are
> consuming the upstream code without modification.  Is this correct?  Is
> this literally a matter of changing URLs in Codeina -- a %config change in
> our RPM?  Does anyone know the answer to this?

No, this is not correct. We entirely control the initial dialog that
explains the situation (what has been dubbed "the sermon" in early
reviews) and contains the link to the fedora wiki, and we have changed
the wording of that dialog in the run-up to F8, based on feedback from
people from this list.