codec buddy pain

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 18:59:44 UTC 2007

> Btw - in the interview they mention further integration of the
> webstore into codeina/codecbuddy. If it starts looking like we're
> pushing closed source software then that, imo, is when codeina gets
> dumped out of the distribution.

This is not addressed to Seth, I'm just using his first email as the
reply point.

I don't have a lot to add after this very long thread, but I will say
this:

Remember -- Codeina is an *attempt* to address one of the Constant
Complaints that we also get in Fedora.  Every time I have ever been at a
Fedora event with Jeremy, we turn to each other and try to guess how
long it will take before someone asks The MP3 Question.

We are not making ANY MONEY off of Codec Buddy, either Fedora or Red
Hat.

If it ends up being a failed experiment, it can be pulled in Fedora 9.
If it ends up needing improvements, then it can get them.  If everyone
likes it, then we can feel good about ourselves.

Nothing is ever set in stone.  Let's give it some time to be digested by
our Average Users and see how it goes.

--Max