Legal update

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 20:33:02 UTC 2007

(Sorry about breaking the threading, I haven't yet received Spot's
original to reply to.)

On Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 10:07:01 -0500 Spot wrote:

> Linking to "third party repositories": Legal says that we can link,
> from the Fedora website, to third party repositories, so long as no
> one has made a critical assessment to determine that a patent or
> patents cover the technology in question ...

Please define 'critical assessment' and the kind of person qualified to
make it.

ISTM that many people in Fedora have assessed if a piece of software is
presenting technical capabilities that may be covered by a patent.
Examples of this abound and are regularly linked to.  None of the
authors are lawyers.  So is that the line?  Just don't hire a lawyer to
determine if package $FOO may infringe on a patent or patents?

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org