Dealing with PPC in Fedora 9(+)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 19:06:25 UTC 2007

Now that Fedora 8 is out, I'd like to make a suggestion with regard to
PPC.  It's no secret that we've been talking about dropping PPC. First
it was all together, then it was so that it could be come a secondary
arch.  So far, we've failed to execute.

Starting now, I'd like to treat PPC as a pseudo secondary arch.  This
is because the secondary arch framework just isn't in place yet.  What
would this mean?  We'd continue to build ppc binaries as if it were a
primary arch, this requires no change to Koji.  We continue to make
rawhide trees of it, this requires no change to buildrawhide (mash,
pungi).  However, come release time (Alpha/Beta/Pre Release/RCs/Final)
it would fall upon a secondary arch team for PPC to create release
trees and isos of the bits.  It would fall upon this team to QA the
bits.  It would fall upon this team to host the bits for download at
release time (if no suitable framework exists for hosting the bits
elsewhere at various release points, rel-eng could insert them into
the normal tree structure as a last resort).  We would clearly
advertise that PPC is to be considered a secondary arch.  We would do
this /now/ so that there is enough time for interested parties can form
a team and have it in place to handle bug reports, composes, etc...

It's time to make this happen, instead of sitting on it for yet one
more release.

--
Jesse Keating