Legal Update

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Nov 16 18:31:19 UTC 2007

> So you'll be making a choice.  Do you want the Fedora project website
> to be as explicit an as accurate as possible concerning the legality
> of using specific software without any links whatsoever to places
> where you can obtain the software. Or do you want us to be able to
> reference the websites of 3rd party repositories in a general way for
> people to more easily find?

If you ask me, I'd rather educate than enable.  But pragmatically, we're
not going to get a good word in edgewise while the addicts are still
bouncing off the walls looking for a fix.  Maybe after they're calmed
down a bit and have that $certain_mp3_they_love playing in the
background, we can SCARE THE SHIT OUT OF THEM about patents and format
lock-in and such.  Kind of like getting someone high in the early '60s
on stuff not yet illegal, and showing them video of people in prison
twenty years later for possession of that same high-making stuff.  Put a
damper on that high. :)

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.