Legal Update

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Mon Nov 19 15:56:22 UTC 2007

On 11/19/2007 04:26 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Christopher Aillon wrote:

>>> Can you explain a bit more what you mean by that? I am not sure I
>>> understand.
>>

>> 3) Another dialog which offers legal stuff / Click here for
>> potentially illegal stuff.
>> 4) User chooses to click on link to illegal stuff.
>> 5) Gets redirected to Fedora wiki page with intent to get illegal stuff.
>>
>> Smells of contributory infringment.
>
> We asked Red Hat Legal and they have told us clearly what is allowed and
> what I have described is what is allowed AFAIK. If we need any
> clarification, we can go back and ask the real lawyers.

Read spot's mail again.  You can't give a reason.  You can say general
things such as "There's some other software that we don't ship which is
available here".  You can't say "There's some other software that we
don't ship because of .... which is available here".   Including it in a
very specific context like this seems to fall more into the latter, not
the former, and does not appear to be allowed.