Fedora Board Recap 2007-NOV-13

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 18:24:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:15:34 +0100
Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:

> This branch in the discussion isn't my beef and I should stick to my
> point; giving anyone enough freedom to do whatever it is they want to
> do with Fedora, based on Fedora or rebranded FUbuntu for all I care,
> without the legal responsibilities of having to host or distribute
> the sources or creating any other type of overhead. No-one
> (individuals and small projects in particular) should care about
> GPL-compliance knowing that someone else has that area covered.

This is likely the basis of our disagreement then.  I don't feel
comfortable resting that legal obligation with Fedora, especially as an
afterthought.  I'd prefer that if you wish to rely upon Fedora to foot
your legal requirements, you participate in our hosting program so that
Fedora can ensure an end in sight for our legal assumed
responsibilities.

Nothing should prevent a downstream from doing their own thing, not
participating with Fedora project.  I would just rather that if they
choose to do this, that they also choose to handle their own legal
responsibilities.

--
Jesse Keating