Fedora Board Recap 2007-NOV-13

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 19:14:30 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:29:55 -0900
"Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay this is important. As things stand right now we aren't avoiding
> the need for the written offer clause with our own in-house project
> activities.

That's correct.  We're just saying "LALALA" and hoping nobody calls us
on it.  When we gave out DVDs in the pre-live era, we'd also have
source DVDs made up (or we did at some things I seem to remember) and
we avoided the issue.  However now, we aren't.  I'd like to stop that,
by offering source images at the same time we're offering live images.

> We don't have to call forth downstream distributors to
> have a reason to rely on the written offer. We're already doing things
> in a grey manner which necessitate the use of the clause which you
> don't want to use. The dam has burst.

No, the dam has leaked in a few instances, but those are done with.  We
can right now prevent the dam from further leaking.

> > I'd really like to see us instead make a
> > limited number of source isos to match the live image(s) so that
> > they can be offered in tandum.
>
> That takes care of the official media.. but don't we have an ethical
> obligation to make it easy for other people acting on our behalf who
> are producing additional media to pass around to make available the
> corresponding source isos.  Or in the future.. src usb keys?

Of course we can make it easy for them.  We make the tools used to
create the binary images optionally create source images.  Then those
that are passing out the binary media can offer the source media at the
same time.

--
Jesse Keating