Hosting and Supporting GIT conversion of Fedora CVS to enable downstream development efforts and distributions

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 28 15:01:40 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:

> I don't think anybody disagrees that we should move to another SCM that
> allows for better downstream interaction.  However just a direct copy
> of our workflow to git doesn't help.

If it doesn't help people wouldn't have requested it in the first place.
It might be the case that we don't want that as a final plan but this
could be a incremental process. Provide a copy and mark it as
experimental. See how well it used and then if the advantages are
compelling to more people, some might take the initiative to move us to
a distributed SCM altogether.

Nobody wants to work on the hard
> problem, thus nothing gets done, no matter /who/ wants it.

Has the Fedora Board recognized that moving to a distributed SCM is
desirable for downstream folks and asked Fedora infrastructure to work
on that or indicated in any way that this is the future direction?  I
think this is one of the instances where the Fedora Board should take on
a more active role.

Rahul