Spins proposals

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 16:19:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 7:44 AM, Will Woods <wwoods at redhat.com> wrote:
>  Seriously? That's how we're going to start the discussion? You're gonna
>  bust my head in unless I agree to take on *more* work when the entire
>  problem with QA is that I'm *already* too overworked to do anything?
>
>  Something is not quite right here.

I didn't say who's particular skull was at risk.  I go out and wade
the the sea of uncontributing community and pound on them if need be.
If I had the ear of the CEO. I'd pound on him if I thought it would
help.  But there is a problem here and I'm not afraid to look directly
into other people's brains in an effort to divine a solution. And now
that you are on record concerning being too overwhelmed to the build
where you can't build a QA community, then you've given the Board a
reason to get involved in figuring out how to unbreak what's going
wrong.

Here's the deal, I firmly believe that the Board shouldn't micromanage
a particular subgroup, even if that group isn't performing
'optimally', whatever that means.  The group has to escalate to the
Board and demand that we get involved in their internal process.

>  Here's how it's gonna happen: QA will provide the same plans,
>  guidelines, and tools that we use for Fedora now, and we'll provide
>  advice on using and improving them. But *the spins are responsible for
>  performing their own testing*.

I'm fine with that.  I'm fine with QA deciding to re-task testing,
because the decisions on what the how/who/when/where's for testing is
fundamentally a part of QA's role.  I do not want to have the Board
setup frameworks that reach in and tell a group how they are going to
do things unnecessarily.

>  And, really, all I'm asking is that each spin spend some time doing QA
>  on their stuff.

You can be stronger than that... you could 'demand' it.  When the Spin
SIG brings a spin to the Board for trademark approval, if they haven't
made any effort to run through a set of predefined tests as part of
the technical review, I'll be cracking their skulls.  But the Board
will most likely ask QA to rubber stamp whatever testing process the
Spin SIG sets up as part of the technical review leading up to
trademark approval.

-jef