Elected/Appointed Board

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 17:02:23 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:

>  Correct me if I'm wrong, most of the Red Hat people involved with Fedora
> are actually community members that just so happen to get a paycheck (good
> for them, and as it turns out; good for everyone!).

There is also no requirement that the Red Hat-appointed members of the
board have to be Red Hat employees.  They historically have been,
however.

There however is, and should be, a requirement that the chair be
employed by Red Hat (and have veto power).  This is an emergency
override, like Rahul said, the plane is crashing and calling
'Mayday!'.  Not that I think that it ever has been nor ever will be
utilized, it's something that's important to have in the back pocket.
As a real world analogy, when I go bicycling, I wear a helmet.  I
really hope it never will be necessary, but you get piece of mind from
knowing that it's there in case you need it.

>  That being said, the majority in the board is community no matter if they
> were elected or got appointed. In fact, the one with veto didn't work for
> Red Hat until 6-7(?) weeks ago.

And Paul was a trusted community leader prior to being hired by Red
Hat, and continues to be so afterwards.  I don't think that his
priorities have really changed now that he gathers a paycheck from Red
Hat (he certainly has more time to act on those priorities, though! :)
).