Elected/Appointed Board

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Tue Apr 22 02:24:49 UTC 2008

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, Jon Stanley wrote:

> There however is, and should be, a requirement that the chair be
> employed by Red Hat (and have veto power).  This is an emergency
> override, like Rahul said, the plane is crashing and calling
> 'Mayday!'.  Not that I think that it ever has been nor ever will be
> utilized, it's something that's important to have in the back pocket.
> As a real world analogy, when I go bicycling, I wear a helmet.  I
> really hope it never will be necessary, but you get piece of mind from
> knowing that it's there in case you need it.

If I did back far enough into the archives, back when we first announced
the Board in April 2006, I remember saying something like "even though I
have veto power as the FPL, if I ever have to use it, then it means that
there has already been a colossal failure at some earlier point in our
processes".

--Max