naming discussion for Fedora community grid project (previously aka Fedora at Home)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 06:17:26 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
>  > On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 15:19 -0400, Bryan Che wrote:
>  >  > Hi, we just completed a trademark search on "Sleepwalker," and it turns
>  >  > out that it's already being used for software.  So, we're going to have
>  >  > to go with a different name.  I've asked for searches on the next
>  >  > highest vote-getters, "Turbine" and "Sandman."
>  >
>  >  I am not sure if you are aware that "Turbine" had been a popular name
>  >  for sport club in former Communist East Europe. As such it comes along
>  >  with associations related to the "decline of the Communist System" in
>  >  many parts of Europe.
>
>  More relevantly, it may or may not be a registered mark, but is
>  definitely already in use in software; Free web service software,
>  even. http://turbine.apache.org/

Sandman was to be used as a Software game for the DC comics character
and movie. Trying to find non-trademarked terms in the field of
software is not as easy as it used to be. I would expect that you
would need to go with the 2 less used words put together (Lexus Nexus,
etc). Dream/Sleep Cycle, Dream/Sleep Shephard, Dream/Sleep Turbine,.
DreamMan, Sand Cycle..