Policy on DST

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 21:47:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 04:41:51PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Mike McGrath (mmcgrath at redhat.com) said:
> > with questionable payoff.  We're global, UTC is globally recognized.  No
> > it's not what time we use in our little bubble to ask our spouses what
> > time we'll be home for dinner but I think Fedora is bigger / more mature
> > then that.
>
> Yes, but... if any particular group is only in one timezone, or one DST
> area... why should they move their meeting?
>
> While we should certainly keep the schedule page in UTC, I'm not sure
> we should hold the users to fixed slots therein, as long as they
> keep it updated.
>
> As a contrast, I can definitely think of large global corporations who
> have multi-office meetings that stay at a particular fixed local time,
> even when DST changes.

That's more what I was getting at.  This isn't about someone's meal
convenience but the fact that plenty of our volunteer contributors
take time out of their $DAYJOB to come to Fedora meetings.  They have
their own professional schedules to keep, as do we who are lucky
enough to work on Fedora full-time.  Thus my point about respecting
the human element of the local clock.