Fedora Remix - Clarification

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 12 11:48:46 UTC 2008

Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 01:42:23AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Chris Tyler wrote:
>>
>>> Rahul,
>>>
>>> If you want to call it "Fedora", then make it official.
>> Oh, believe me. I tried.  I got one of the dozen spins hosted at
>> http://spins.fedoraproject.org and then it was stopped because of lack
>> of space or it was considered too much effort for composing all the
>> different variants or some much.
>
> I'm confused on something here.
>
> Can't you create the "Fedora Hindi Spin" if it otherwise meets the
> spin guidelines, then host it where you would a Fedora Remix?

If I understand correctly, the current practise is not to allow out of
sync spin releases. I don't see a way to do a new Fedora 10 spin now and
have to wait for Fedora 11.

Other than that,for this to really work, the advantage of getting a work
as Fedora branded has to overweigh the overhead introduced by the
process and new uncertainties everytime.

About a dozen localized spins were approved by both Fedora Board and
rel-eng and the process was followed as it existed then during Fedora 8
development. Only one spin got hosted. Instead, if I adopt the secondary
brand, I have a bit more control and assurance that the work I put in,
doesn't get wasted.

Rahul