Urgent: Fedora Electronic Lab + Educational SW

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Sat Dec 20 18:20:41 UTC 2008

Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 4:58 AM, Danishka Navin <danishka at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Chitlesh,
>>
>> How are you?
>> Next week I have two workshops for school teachers and it mainly for
>> non-tech and windows based school teachers . Basically I will give them a
>> hands on training for how to install Fedora, updates, and relevant
>> educational packages.
>>
>> More over I will do few more workshops  for the next year as well.
>>
>> Can you do me a favor?
>>
>> I need kind of extended version of FEL. :)
>> As you setup the FEL DVD is just 1.2GB.
>> Could you make  a DVD iso by adding other Fedora educational sofwares.
>> Then teachers can work on other educational SW on the same DVD.
>>
>> I am not asking to change your FEL DVD structure.
>> Let it be 1.2GB as you did.
>> Pls give me a new iso which includes both FEL and Educational software.
>>
>> * Why I can't do it myself?
>> Here I have a poor ADSL connectivity.
>> So, running a script and downloading hole stuff for trial and error is much
>> difficult.
>>
>> So, pls help me. I really want to spread FEL with other Fedora stuff. :)
>>
>> Waiting for  a positive response.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Danishka
>>

> Dear Danishka,
>
> I'm happy to hear from you and your workshops.
>
> If you install Fedora Electronic Lab, you can yum install all
> educational software.
> Likewise if you install fedora from the standard iso, you can still
> yum install any electronic software.
>
> Unfortunately I can't merge electronic and educational software in the
> FEL Livedvd iso for the following reasons:
> - I am the only one maintaining FEL as full-time
> - the use of educational software is vast and targets various
> categories of users (astronomy, biology, math,..). for each one of
> them the age of the users should be taken into account. We had a
> Fedora Educational spin in the past. I'm CC: the fedora board mailing
> list hoping someone can revive and maintain a Fedora Education spin.

Ping! Hi there :)

Well, we've an education spin, as well as a special interest group [1]
for educational stuff.

But, er... I need to admit, the spin which you can currently grab from
spins.fedoraproject.org only includes mathematical applications. If you
want to get further information, you might want to look at the feature
page here [3].

Unfortunately, it became quite calm around the Edu SIG, but I'm still
hoping that this doesn't need to be the end.

For example, you could add your name to the wiki and we can try to get
something off the ground :). Our last meeting on IRC also happened some
time ago - if you're interested in joining, I'd be happy to welcome you!

I've been working on some Sugar & OLPC stuff recently, but I believe a
spin with educational or scientific apps is still heavily needed. Maybe
we should also expand our goals: Just focusing on mathematical
applications might have been not the best idea. Maybe we could also
cooperate with other groups in Fedora (with educational or scientific
goals) concerning the creation of a spin.

But I still feel that without feedback or ideas from other people, it's
somehow hard to get something started. Like Chitlesh said, a list of the
software you want use would be great.

> Maybe if you give us a list of software you wish to have for your
> workshops, maybe fedora can spin a special LiveDVD for your workshops
> while you will promote fedora. I ask the approval from Fedora Board
> for such a spin through this email.

This might be a solution, too. But nevertheless, I think feedback or
ideas concerning a possible spin would be very helpful!

> Thereby I invite you to join our Fedora Ambassador Project and be one
> of our Fedora Ambassadors. You can also meet other Fedora Ambassadors
> in your region who might help you as well for your events.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors
>
> Kind regards,
> Chitlesh

By the way: You might also want to join our mailing list [3].
And please don't hesitate to contact me directly ;).

--Sebastian

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Education
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/EducationMathSpin