Fedora Remix definition

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Dec 30 07:56:20 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm about to create some Fedora Remixes and I'm not quite sure whether
it is one or not (in the trademark sense). I know it's been discussed
a lot, but I see some contradictions:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Remix says

     The "Fedora Remix" mark identifies a derivation of software that is
     not produced or maintained by the Fedora Project. It may contain some
     software that is produced or maintained by the Fedora
     Project. [...] It can also be combined with other, non-Fedora
     software to produce interesting and compelling products. A Fedora
     Remix product may contain some software that is  forbidden to
     include in Fedora itself.

So I understand it that anything that includes one Fedora package is a
remix already? So the first question is

a) when is something *not* a remix?

Next I read on various other wiki pages, that a remix is a subset of
only official Fedora packages, e.g.:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JeroenVanMeeuwen/Revisor/FedoraRebrandRemixGuidelines

    Remix:: A Remix of Fedora is taking whatever amount of packages
    from the Fedora repositories and composing media based on that
    package set. Respin:: A Respin specifically updates existing
    media. Note the 'updating' is the key here. Usually, a Remix will
    include updates if they're available but that isn't the key point
    of a Remix, but for Respins, it is. Rebrand:: A Rebrand of Fedora

b) So what is correct "Remix: includes offcial Fedora packages and
   more" or "Remix: includes only packages from a subset of offcial
   Fedora packages"?

What I'd like to do is (not always combined)

o apply updates-released
o add closed source graphics card drivers
o add multimedia stuff

Is this still a fedora remix?

Thanks and have a good start into 2009!
--