closing out old bugs of unmaintained releases

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 20:08:36 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 20:47 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 04.01.2008 19:45, Jon Stanley wrote:
> > I can put some time this weekend into closing out old bugs, however,
> > before doing so, I wanted to make sure that our messaging is crystal
> > clear. [...]
>
> Just FYI: Similar mass-closures for bugs in EOL releases were done in
> the Fedora-past two or three times already (or more often -- can't
> remember); that was decided and guided by FESCo iirc. If you ask on
> fedora-devel-list you might get some experiences from people that did
> the job back then and blessing from FESCo now.

I'd recommend bending over backward with a mass closing comment so that
people aren't put off -- some will, inevitably, but we should do what we
can to salve hurt feelings.  How about adding:

"The Fedora Project is undergoing a revitalization of its bug triage
program, staffed for the main part by volunteers.  We are committed to
addressing bugs in a timely and courteous fashion, and we thank you for
the time you have taken to file bugs.  Please be assured your Fedora
experience matters to us, and we hope you will enjoy all the
innovations, features, and improvements we have provided in the latest
release."

Seems a little sycophantic, but let's keep in mind the old adage about
flies and honey.

--
Paul W. ("silver-tongued devil") Frields       http://paul.frields.org/
           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/