dormant bugs and our perception

mcepl at redhat.com mcepl at redhat.com
Fri Jan 4 22:10:45 UTC 2008

On 2008-01-03, 04:12 GMT, Jon Stanley wrote:
> I'm quite serious.  I have no experience in this sort of thing,
> but we're all here to learn, right?  My background is actually
> in architecture design and sysadmin type stuff.  However, I'm
> more than willing to do this - I've been using Linux for over
> 10 years off and on, and professionally for the past 5 or so.

Welcom on board!!! Don't worry about your education, experience
is what matters -- I am a lawyer by education (I have not been in
practice for years) with unfinished PhD in criminology ;-).

> I've just need to clear with my boss taking part of next Friday
> off, and I'll be at FUDcon next weekend, and we can start
> hashing this out. I've already put a session on teh wiki about
> it, and figure that we can use the Sunday hackfest to actually
> start doing.

I am really sorry, I won't be at FUDcon at all -- I haven't had
enough time to even begin working on tickets etc. (I live in
Prague, Czech republic).

> I'm entirely willing to step up to this job - not the most
> glamarous one in the world, but certaintly high-impact.  Note
> that I'll not be able to devote an FTE's worth of time to it,
> there is $DAYJOB still. However my free time (note I'm single
> and have no pets, etc :) ) can be devoted to this.  Gives me
> a good cause to work on.

Once more -- welcome on board. If I may give you advice, pick
some packages which you are using daily and you are interested in
-- a) you need to be able to help users with workarounds,
diagnosing etc., so you need to understand it, b) you will spend
many hours with them, and it is not worthy to spend your time
with something you hate (thanks God, I am not bugmastering
iscsi-initiator-utils -- I would be bored to death).

Best,

Matěj