closing out old bugs of unmaintained releases

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Jan 5 13:04:32 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 07:47 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 13:28:32 +0100
> Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>
> > In fact, something like the above is what I always do and did for my
> > packages (and had to do, as I'm a package-monkey and no developer).
> >
> > IOW: if it's not a packaging bug or otherwise specific to Fedora I
> > asked the reported to report the bug upstream, as the bug gets fixed
> > for everyone then -- that includes other distributions and thus is
> > the best for everyone and avoid double work in our current world with
> > fivehundred-and-more distributions. If the reported didn't forward the
> > bug upstream I did it if the bug looked worth forwarding.
>
> Except that as a maintainer it's one of your responsibilities to do
> some of the upstream filing/tracking.

And also to help the user debug, and to provide a fix where possible.
Where would Fedora be if at least the majority of packagers didn't do
that, and didn't actually work on the upstream codebase?

I'll tell you where -- we'd be just another one of the second-rate
distributions, packaging the software which other people work on, rather
than setting our own goals and innovating.

--
dwmw2