closing out old bugs of unmaintained releases

Christian Iseli Christian.Iseli at licr.org
Wed Jan 9 08:32:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 07:16:22 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Don't put more bureaucracy or hurdles in the way. That won't scale and
> will frustrate people and some will feel a second-class citizen (I
> already feel unwanted more and more in Fedora-land after this
> discussion because I never found time to learn proper programming --
> mostly due to fact that most of my free time is already filled with
> Fedora-related work).

I do not think anyone is trying to require packagers to be able
programmers.  At least, that's not the spirit I'd like to see.

> We have a lot of non-hackers that maintain packages in Fedora and it
> worked well so far and that in parts made Fedora what it is today.
> What IMHO would be good instead of what you outline: groups of people
> (SIGs) a package-monkey can contact if he needs help to fix or improve
> something needs programming skills.

What I'd like to see is:
- emergence of a group of able programmers willing to help squashing
bugs in other maintainers' packages, and an easy way to alert this
group of people to a list of bugs to squash
- education of the non-programmers packagers that they can and *should*
seek help from the above group when needed, and how to go about this
process

					Christian