"Action Items" From FUDCon?

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Jan 14 16:02:23 UTC 2008

On 1/14/08, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

> No one ever really stood up and said "Here's my vision for what I think
> the next VCS should be" and stood with it (through the fire and flames
> that will come to anyone who does that).

I think that part of this is that no matter which VCS gets proposed
there's a certain percentage of the population that screams bloody
murder because either or both of these conditions are true:

1) It's not their pet VCS.
2) It's different from what the packaging community is used to.

It's definitely hard to get the motivation to withstand the religious debates...

Lennert Buytenhek has done a lot of work to build a solution using
Git, so if it's decided to go that route we've got a leg up.

> We had some people get into
> some very good discussions but unfortunately I think $DAYJOB is in the
> way.
>
> If someone is interested, here's the page, start putting meetings
> together.  Until that time I think we're stuck with CVS.

Yeah, I think that's the rub here.  The people who get paid to work on
Fedora are busy enough with their current Fedora tasks.  The people
that don't get paid to work on Fedora are busy with their own work.
What are the chances that RH or some other Fedora-friendly corporation
would be able to dedicate someone's time to solving this problem?  I
think that it'd need to be more than an intern or a Google SoC project
to make any real progress against the political hurdles.

Jeff