redefining SIGs (old and new)

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jan 31 16:34:27 UTC 2008

Jef has some hot ideas here so I'm OK with him co-opting the SIG
usage/namespace.

However, it has had a historical meaning in Fedora and what do we
replace that with?

SIG has meant, a group starting around something that wasn't ready to go
through the formal project process:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DefiningProjects

"A SIG earns official project status through successful accomplishment
of objectives that warrant more prominence in the Fedora Project. If
contributors request it, the parent project or the Fedora Project Board
will evaluate the SIG's progress reports and make a determination of
readiness for this stage. At this point, it may be branded with the
Fedora name and promoted to the full status of a Fedora project. It can
join the ranks of the most valuable initiatives currently leading the
Fedora Project."

What do we call that incubation stage?

I ask because we just voted yesterday to form the Marketing SIG, but Jef
is reasonably arguing that Docs, Marketing, etc. are support services in
his new SIG model.  OTOH, I'm sure that if, at this stage, we had to
follow all the project definition rules to get an official "Marketing
Project", we'd bury half the interested people and lose a lot of
momentum.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.