supporting closed source operating systems? (was: Early MinGW packaging guidelines draft)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Jul 9 21:57:57 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 04:58:20PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/MinGW

What is Fedora's motivation is promoting using Open Source on a closed
source operating system? This is beyond the FPC to decide as this is a
technical committee, but still a valid question and maybe one that the
board should be investigating.

F/LOSS often had and has to compromise on its base principles to get a
lift-off, and so does Fedora (the current exception for firmwares is
such a compromise). Before there was a Linux kernel, the GNU project
was "supporting" closed source Unices and by design still does so.

But we're beyond the age of this kind of symbiosis, Linux (or
GNU/Linux ...) and Fedora in particular doesn't need this anymore. In
fact when a patch in a Fedora package is made it often doesn't matter
if it works on other Unices, sometimes not even for the Free ones.

In this case I don't see the benefits for Fedora. I just see more Open
Source being hijacked for a non Open Source operating system.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net