supporting closed source operating systems?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 23:09:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> No, obviously not - the liveusb creator's use case is not for
> enhancing Windows, it is allowing Windows users to make the switch.
>
> OTOH mingw is allowing Windows users to *not* make the switch. The
> need to go Linux gets lower for every app that works under Windows.

And if mingw is being delibrately made available so that people can
use a virtualized linux on top of windows? Is that not a path towards
switching?

What if we wanted to use this tool chain specifically to build a
windows application for Fedora that is meant to provide similar
functionality to what wubi provides for Ubuntu, easing the path
towards switching?

-jef"I guess a Lego Mindstorms cross compiler toolchain in Fedora
would also be extremely objectionable on the same grounds. Even though
I'm using Fedora to write and compile the applications, the
applications will be installed and run on a not-completely free
operating system running on the Lego brick"spaleta