[Fedora-packaging] supporting closed source operating systems? (was: Early MinGW packaging guidelines draft)

Anthony Green green at redhat.com
Wed Jul 9 22:40:54 UTC 2008

Regarding the packaging for mingw tools in Fedora, Axel Thimm wrote:
> In this case I don't see the benefits for Fedora. I just see more Open
> Source being hijacked for a non Open Source operating system.

It's an interesting question, but here's my two part counter-argument:

1. Our goal should be to benefit users of Fedora, and not just Fedora
itself.  In this case, the packager is simply proposing to include tools
that will benefit developers who have the misfortune of needing to
target the windows operating system.  If I found myself in that
unfortunate position, I would be very happy to find that Fedora packaged
a nice set of fully FOSS tools for me to use.

2. The Open Source definition talks about discrimination against fields
of endeavor.   Strictly speaking, it's talking about discrimination
encoded into software licenses.  However, I like to think that the
Fedora Project should adopt this principal in a more general way, since
it is in keeping with the Open Source philosophy of freedom. But you're
asking that Fedora not include a collection of fully FOSS tools because
you don't like what people are going to use them for.  Do we really want
to set this precedent?  I hope not.

AG