supporting closed source operating systems?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Jul 10 21:23:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 12:57:57AM +0300, Axel Thimm wrote:
> What is Fedora's motivation is promoting using Open Source on a closed
> source operating system?

Thanks all for enlightening this. Jeff Spaleta more or less outlined
the background thoughts I was having about it - envisioning building
all of our fruits for consumption on the enemy territory was a bit
scary.

Daniel Berrange and Richard Jones explained the libvirt background
which more than justifies this move, thanks for explaining.

But what I'd like to still see addressed is whether there will be a
policy of what other tools/apps are acceptable for Fedora. mingw,
libvirt etc. do have their justification as a means to an end, but
what happens when Joe Random Packager discovers the mingw package and
thinks this is an invitation to rebuild all of Fedora for Windows
(where possible) and submit as a new package? Do we want this? If not
how do we prevent this or communicate it properly to the packager
base?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net