supporting closed source operating systems?

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Jul 11 00:26:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 13:53 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> I'm not sure I'm okay with rebuilding our entire collection of
> libraries as Windows DLLs and packaging them as part of our
> distribution, taking up project repository and mirror space.

Aside from the secondary arch precedent, there are the precedents of
EPEL and OLPC.  There is a strong relationship between Fedora and RHEL,
but packages from one don't necessarily run on the other.

The difference in these cases is that we can emulate/virtualize
environments from within Fedora to run e.g. RHEL and OLPC (Sugar), all
from 100% FLOSS.  The same is may not be true of DLLs and EXEs from
MinGW.  Maybe some runs under WINE, or Cygwin.  But all?  Seems
unlikely.

I am only pointing out the precedents and differences in this case, I've
no idea yet if we are in danger of slipping down a slope.

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41