open nominations [Fwd: Re: [Reminder] FESCo Election Nominations]

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 14:33:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> For those who didn't follow this thread, FESCo picked up the suggestion
> from this list for adding an open nomination option.  The caveat is,
> they want to be candidates to affirm their commitment to a nomination
> from someone else.

I think that this makes a great deal of sense - what if you nominated
me, and I had absolutely no desire whatsoever to serve, for whatever
reason (maybe I lack the time, maybe I don't agree with what FESCo is
doing, maybe I'm just not comfortable in that position) - there are a
million reasons why someone might decline a nomination - the person
*should* affirmatively say "yes, thank you, and if elected, I'll
serve";. I personally wouldn't call it a caveat, I'd call it common
sense :)